Turn off the left speaker!

I read Bird by Bird over holidays. It was a great book; not only about creative writing but about life in general. What was particularly amazing about the book was the writing style and how effective the writer as narrative was. Anna Lamott by far is one of the greatest writers I have ever read. I felt I knew her forever. She makes connection with her readers. Her writing reminded me of Nazy Kaviani’s blog. I felt as if these two women are sisters. Anna is the naughty sister and Nazy is the sweet one. Both of them share their own life experience through writing. I felt happy reading this book as much as reading Nazy's blog made me happy.

I meant to write about this book since I finished it but I forgot. I just remembered it because as I was knitting, my thoughts travelled thousands miles away and took me some places I didn’t want to go (i.e. I am trying to be a more positive/ optimistic person).

Anyway, it reminded me of this part of her book “…out of the right speaker in your inner ear will come the endless stream of self-aggrandizement, the recitation of one’s specialness, of how much more open and gifted and brilliant and knowing and misunderstood and humble one is. Out of the left speaker will be the rap songs of self-loathing, the list of all the things one doesn’t do well, of all the mistakes one has made today and over an entire lifetime, the doubt, the assertion that everything that one touches turns to shit, that one doesn’t do relationships well, that one has no talent or insight, and on and on and on.”
By Anne Lamott from Bird by Bird

Comments

Popular Posts

Things that really matter

"Be a rainbow in someone’s cloud"

Happy Nowruz 1390!!!