Last night, I prayed to God. I have not done that for a long time, embarrassed to confess. However, when you see yourself completely helpless, that is what you do. You reach to something bigger than you, bigger than life itself. It is another very stressful time. But life has shown me that this shall pass too. Let’s hope for the best and brighter days. The fact that you are afraid of doing something should not stop you from doing it. You need to take some risk if you want to see change in your situation. Things are going to a right direction even though it is not ideal. You need to put your brave mask on, be determined more than ever in your life, and go for it.
19 December 2011
Now that U.S. troops are saying goodbye to Iraq, I hope everyone spends sometime and think about the very stupid concept of war. According to an article by the New York Times, the 3 deadliest wars in history are the World War II (66 million deaths), Genghis Kahn (40 million deaths), and Mao Zedong (40 million deaths). If you consider the percentage of population that got killed in those brutal wars, Genghis Kahn ranks first (11.1%) and World War II ranks 6 (2.6%). Their main source is the book by Matthew White, "The Great Big Book of Horrible Things". If we know the end results of the war, why some people still thing it is the only solution or it is the best solution. 2011 is almost coming to the end. I wish a safer year for all people in the world specially people in Iran. Amen!
p.s. Iran-Iraq war ranks 61/100 with 0.7 million deaths.
Posted by Daisy at 09:28
18 December 2011
14 December 2011
I came across this great blog post, 12 Things Happy People Do Differently. I wrote up a summary for myself below.
- Express gratitude: “that’s without having to go out and buy anything.” You already have what makes you happy.
- Cultivate optimism: “People who think optimistically see the world as a place packed with endless opportunities, especially in trying times.”
- Avoid over thinking and social comparison: these are actually too different things!
- I am the queen of over thinkers, sadly. So I spend countless hours, wasting my time, thinking about something that might not be right or might never happen.
- You don’t want to be Kanya West and indeed you are noting less that anyone around you. No one’s life is prefect even if it seems prefect. “Comparing yourself to someone else can be poisonous.”
- Practice acts of kindness: I say practice acts of kindness as long as you are kind to yourself . If in order to say YES to someone, you have to say NO to yourself.... DO NOT DO IT! If Kindness is Serotonin, you do not want to rude its affect by cortisol or norepinephrine.
- Nurture social relationships: Have “an active circle of good friends who you can share your experiences with.”
- Develop strategies for coping: “ crap happens – it’s inevitable.”
- Learn to forgive: “your mind doesn’t know the difference between past and present emotion.” Avoid negative emotions which can be brought up by hating others.
- Increase flow experience: focus
- Savour life’s joys: if you cannot enjoy it now, you cannot enjoy it ever. So why bother try reaching happiness in life. “smell the roses while you can.”
- Commit to your goals: it makes you happy when you reach them
- Practice spirituality: “When we practice spirituality or religion, we recognize that life is bigger than us.”
- Take care of your body: it is all you got and you only have one of it. Also, it helps with other elements.
- Physical energy
- Mental energy (our focus)
- Emotional energy (our feelings)
- Spiritual energy (our purpose)