11 May 2010

I went to a blood clinic today to donate blood. I have O positive blood type and that makes me almost a universal donor. As a result, I am very attractive for Canadian Blood Services. Once in a while, I receive phone call invitations asking me whether I am available to come to one of their mobile blood clinic for blood donation (i.e. I am sure all of their donors receive those phone calls to be honest).  
I have donated blood many times now. I'm not a frequent donor unfortunately but if I get a chance, I'll do it. I have never had any problems before but today was a bit different. I was feeling fine the whole time until the nurse came to stop the blood drawing. The only thing I could tell her was that I was feeling dizzy and that was it. I passed out. It was more like a short nap. When I opened my eyes, it took me 5 sec to remember where I was and there it was, ice cold clothes on my forehead, my neck, and my hands. 
That was my day. How was yours like? 

8 comments:

shobeir said...

Indicated in your previous post: "I need to stop wasting my energy; I do NOT want to faint." Humm... Can you see the future :D ?
And I guess "a universal donor" and "a universal receiver" can have common interest! A sharing and receiving relationship :D

Daisy said...

This is very ironic. Next time, I should be careful what kind of metaphor I am using ;)

Behi said...

So that makes me one of those who can donate blood to you and also receive from you but I only ask for that when you have enough energy ;D Take care Daisy'ie aziz

Nava said...

This happened for me twice. Once, in a "physiology" lab course during my undergrad while we were practicing taking blood from each other. Second time, I was feeling very "Fardin" (if you know what I mean) and decided to donate blood. (My blood type is A-). It didn't even take until the end of the process. As soon as I had the syringe in and they started taking blood, I passed out!
The funny thing was when I became concious, I started crying because I was feeling so ashamed that I couldn't donate my blood :(

Good for you, for your positive intentions and actions :)

Daisy said...

Dear Behi, I hope you never need to ask for blood from anyone including me.

Daisy said...

Dear Nava, one of my cousins are like you. He can't stand looking at a drop of blood unlike me who look at each and every steps. I monitor when the syringe is going into my body til it comes out.
I was so shocked that why I passed out that I didn't have time to feel embarrassed!

Dead said...

It was my birthday :) I got lots of messages from friends, but I always feel uncomfortable receiving attention :))

Daisy said...

Happy Birthday Dead! :)