Chasing love

Last night as I was watching an interview with Leonard Cohen, he said something interesting. I don't remember the exact wording but he said “As you get older, you become lonelier, and you need a deeper love.”

That is so accurate. God knows how many times I've heard from elderly relatives that you should not wait too long to get married because you become too meticulous. Maybe they are somewhat right but I think the truth is that as you get older and wiser you base your decisions on logic rather than your emotion. You know yourself better and what you are looking for in your future partner. You don't fall in love easily. One small smile or attention from the other person doesn't make you fall for him/her. You become immune to “love at first sight”. I feel safer and hope that other single people out there feel the same way and not feel the pressure that they have to get married. I hope they ignore the social/ cultural expectations that the community imposes on us.

In Hearth matters, I read, in the 60s, people believed that you as a woman will get married, become a teacher, or none of the above and you stay single and miserable. (I don’t remember the page. I will look it up and post it here later). A lot has changed since then and it will continue changing by us everywhere.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Actually I love this man (not marriage-wise though ;D). I love his songs and his poems...
My elder brother believes when we grow up we become more and more stringent and we can't condone easily...And I think this is what u meant by meticulous. What we should never forget is we have to observe the balance...
I do detest the way people may think about women in the 60s but wow how can forget that era's art!
Shaad ziid
Anonymous said…
I belive so; but I have also seen spouses who have married so young at first glance love and their love has lasted so long...
I'm still wondering if they are right or the ones who wait to choose a wise path.

Have a wonderful weekend my dear wise Daisy.
Daisy said…
Salam Shobeir,

Leonard Cohen is definitely a great artist and very popular too.

I know I usually over think when it comes to love/emotions etc. you're right; everything is good only in moderation. I need to remember this.
Daisy said…
Salam Parinaz,

Well! good for you. I think that is the reason we have different opinion about his topic and my problem is that I've never met any happy couples who married young. To be honest I don’t even believe in love at first sight. I believe for a marriage to work you need something more than love to support it.
Recently one of my friends said something interesting and that was "the word love is being misused". To be in true love you have to pass so many phases in the relationship and go through good things as well as bad ones. People intend to say they are in love while they don’t even know what is like to be in love. Since they have never experience it, they think they are already in love.

I hope you enjoyed your weekend too.
Nava said…
Hi Daisy,
You are already talking very wisely about love, whether this is good or bad, is another matter for itself.

But the thing is I'm somehow on your side. Other than the fact that I have rarely seen happy -married-young-couples (simply it seems that after a while they remember and want to do all the things they have missed by marrying young!), I don't believe in "LOVE" in first sight. It could be passion, or attraction, but it definitely is not love. Your friend was right. This word has been so misused, instead of attraction or romance. The thing is - in my opinion - LOVE originates from knowledge (shenakht) and needs so much care alongside the way.
And...good luck ;)
Daisy said…
Yes Nava, "LOVE" is only a four letters word but very complicated to define.
Thanks for wishing me luck. I think I need it ;)

Popular Posts

Things that really matter

"Be a rainbow in someone’s cloud"

Happy Nowruz 1390!!!