A Familiar Breeze from Esfahan



(the title and photo are hyperlinks)

I had to read all the content of a small website for one of my assignment this term. The website was on Carnegie Libraries of Scotland. It was a brief description about Andrew Carnegie and his legacy. Andrew Carnegie made so many contributions and benevolence toward establishing many public libraries across Scotland and US. The main focus of the website was on the architecture styles of those buildings.

Since I had to index this website, I needed to read its entire content for a couple of times. Though indexing can be time consuming and tedious, I enjoyed doing this assignment because of its interesting content. The website included one of the Carnegie’s letters to Lord Provost of Glasgow . A part of one of the letters reads:

"It will give me pleasure to provide the needed one hundred thousand pounds for Branch Libraries, which are sure to provide a great advantage to the masses of the people. It is just fifty-two years since my parents, with their two little boys, sailed from the Broomielaw* for New York an the barque Wiscassett, 800 tons, and it is delightful to be able to commemorate the event upon my visit to you.

Glasgow has done so much in municipal affairs to educate other cities and to help herself that it is a privilege to help her.

"Let Glasgow flourish!", so say we all of us Scotsmen throughout the world".

What amazed me was the fact that after 52 years, Carnegie had a sentimental attachment to this city. This is something that all immigrants can relate to. No matter how long you have been living in one place and how great you feel about your new adopted home, your root will stay part of you forever.

I was raised in Tehran but my parents are from the City of Esfahan. Every summer we've spent at least one week traveling to Esfahan to visit my mom side of the family. It was a true family reunion and I spent the entire time there “be mehmani” partying. So I didn't have the chance to travel there as a tourist. I haven't visited all the historical sites. I may not know the name of the street in Esfahan and need to ask for direction but I know what "Beryooni" or “Ghara”** is, or what a good “Fereni Starch Pudding” tastes like. Or I can distinguish a sweet original Esfahani accent from a fake one.

It's very amusing to see how far some people go to show their loyalty to their homeland. One of my friends who has impeccable sense of humor once made a funny remark. He claimed that, Adam and Eve were sent to the Naghsh-e Jahan Square after they expelled from the Garden of Eden . I suppose this is a good thing and it adds to the uniqueness of the city. Nonetheless, I adore the city of Esfahan because it's an oasis located in the middle of desert. It's the center of cultural and historical sites in Iran. I love that city because my loved ones live there,,,. I haven't thought about Esfahan for a long time or even felt about it this way. I guess when you are on the other side of the ocean the only thing that matters is that you are Iranian until someone reminds you that Esfahan is a substitution for the Garden of Eden.


*According to the author of the website, the reference in the letter to the "Broomielaw" is referring to the docks in Glasgow. "Let Glasgow Flourish" is the city's motto.
**"Ghara" is synonym for Gharghorot.

Photo: Khajo Bridge- Iran Esfahan, originally uploaded by youngrobv.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hum...
dear daisy I don't think I can ever index a website (even my own blog!).
It seems a hard act to follow...
The feeling you've mentioned is one of those must-be-experienced feelings!
Loyalty to homeland...
Does it grow or does it fade away. This is the question :)
* I've read this post 3 times, how can I index it ;)
Daisy said…
Salam Shobeir,

Nowadays on-line indexing is being done automatically. It's cheaper but less accurate than human-indexed websites. You may not need to index your blog if BLOGFA does offer indexing services. Then the only thing you need is to embed a search box to make your blog searchable. One reason that Google is so powerful is because they have the biggest index in the world :)

I believe the feeling for homeland is untouchable. It's always there, part of you and never changes. I guess because it's your identity and how you define yourself with.
Anonymous said…
Oh my gosh!
Have you ever been in ESFAHAN during April time?
I am sure it is the thing I would miss forever when getting out of Iran!
Daisy said…
Dear Parinaz,

What a lovely name you have!
I think I've visited Esfahan in April as well. I believe Iran is the best place to be in April- anywhere in Iran:)
But what I miss the most about Esfahan is its chilly summer nights by "Zayande rood" River. (yadesh bekheyr)

Popular Posts

Things that really matter

"Be a rainbow in someone’s cloud"

Happy Nowruz 1390!!!